Thursday, September 20, 2012

Missing somethin'

Two months ago I left my family, my community and everything familiar. You may or may not know this but I was born and raised in Poulsbo, WA. I have never been away from home for more than a month in my life. Leaving for a year seemed like it may be an eternity, the getting here was not easy. Lots of nights tossing and turning deciding whether it was a good decision. I knew I would get home sick, and here I am feeling that way. I don't think I've mentioned Larkin and Kelly (in the picture above) enough in my blogs, these girls are who I work with, Kelly I live with, both I am becoming very close to. They have made this radical transition of giving up everything to be with people I've never met so much easier. They keep my spirits up when I'm feeling down by dancing ridiculously, screaming in the kitchen while we try and trap rats, staying up until 2 in the morning playing cards games, sharing with me goofy stories of their pasts. They have become my family here, the girls we work with, the coaches, the girl's families, we are a community and I feel so blessed that I get to be here and experience the love people give. I've learned that there is no limit of time, or an amount of time that you need to know someone in order to show them love. This experience isn't necessarily the easiest at times but having Kelly and Larkin makes the hard times turn into something to laugh about...like rats in my bed! It's an experience like this that changes you, not who you are, but changes you in a way that you look at the World differently. God is sooo good, and when I remind myself that I no longer long for what I don't have. God is good because he has put wonderful people in my life who are cheering me on back home, who I am undoubtedly grateful for. And that these experiences that you are watching me have are making a positive impact in your lives back home. Only about 3 more months until I get to come home and I only have those 3 more months to make a incredible impact on these girls in Granada. Please pray for me to have strength in my time remaining and to help ease my worry about fundraising for return in January. I just lastly want to say that God is teaching me that we are never alone, while I do feel homesick, I am reminded that He is with me, that you all are still my family and that I have community here. Love you all. Mady