Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Back to this

It's been a few weeks now since I came and went to the states and now back in Granada. I'm so blessed to have been able to go home and I had a wonderful time spending time with friends and family. Coming back to Nicaragua was a surreal feeling, it has a place in my heart and has become a second home to me. I was somewhat surprised at how much love I received from the girls and their families and to have one of my girls Ana say "Please don't leave, you have to stay for 9 years." She made me melt a little, thinking why wouldn't I?! Alas, there are other realities to life. After having time to reflect on my first six months while I was home, I came back having a deeper meaning of how this experience is affecting me. While the first half of my internship was no walk in the park, I came back feeling refreshed, that even in the hardest of circumstances God's got me and that gives me joy. We just finished up intern training for Allie and Rebecca (our new interns, who are great!) and our January camp. Camp was such a blast and it was awesome to see the girls engaged, having a good time. It gave me a lot of energy, too, going into this next season because I was where I thought I would never be 7 months ago. I was leading activities in Spanish, I worry less and slowly but surely owning this experience as one that God has put in my life to be alone with him and to grow. All these things help me become a better leader for my girls, if you have noticed, kids notice everything, it's so important to exude confidence, love, kindness and respect. The return is a blessing. I'm excited to see where this season takes me, putting all my faith in God that even the most stressful situations will have fruit. Wish me luck as a move in with my new family today, they're two women, Monica and Doña Leticia with tons of extended family that come in and out. Lastly, thank you to all of you who came to my Nicaraguan dinner, listened to my stories, donated and have believed in what God has me doing. Love, Mady