Thursday, May 30, 2013

Have a nice trip!

So if you know me well you know that I LOVE to run. Running, in my opinion is the best way to get to know a city quickly. I know where some of the most random things are in Granada just from simply exploring around via sneakers. But of course the terrain here isn't great when your stick, hot and don't lift up your feet high enough...which reminds me of several great interactions with my girls and some locals while running.

Let's be real, there are very few people in Nicaragua who run, lest why most of the locals look at me like a crazy person and even more so because it's daily a scorching 95 degrees here...and I always manage to go in the middle of the day when it's hottest and then there's no water to shower afterwards. A couple of my girls the other night while walking home with them brought up an afternoon where I was running past their neighborhood. They had all just gotten out of school and I saw them ahead, ran towards them to say hello and alas, I slipped and fell. In what you ask? God only knows. When you spend enough time in the homes here you realize that everything from people's sinks (food waste, waste in general, dirty water, laundry soap etc.) all ends up in the gutter of the street...it's green, brown and slippery. So I managed to end up in just the right spot to slip in the muck in front of my girls and a ton of people hanging out on their porches. Everyone was probably more mortified than I was. Graciously though, some girls came out with a bucket of water to clean me off and then I ran off in shame. 

There are several other stories like this and I have great scars on my knees to prove them but this one was my favorite because my girls and I still laugh about it today : ).